Saturday, November 7, 2009

New York Mills: Day 8

My own private prairie home companion show:

The NY Mills Regional Cultural Center is the active place.

They have some kind of activity in every other day.

Monday night is the knitting night, Tuesday and Thursday have dance classes, and they have a concert on Saturday.

So, the last nigh there was concert with a folk group duo named “Still on a Hill”, Kelly Mulhollan and Donna Stjerna from Arkansas.

Website: http://www.stillonthehill.com
My space: http://www.myspace.com/stillonthehill

I was at upstairs during the concert but it was as if I was at the balcony area in a theater, so I could listen all music while I was busy working on my piece.

The duo was very engaging on the stage. There were audience participation and seemed to have a lot of visual aids. (I was listening but was not looking.) They have a lot of stories to tell.

Here is some song they played that I found on youtube. They meet up with local characters and they write song about them. This was a song about a man in Houston.

What most intrigued me was the story about an old man, Mr. Ed Stilley, who decided to make installments and give them to kids after having the vision in near death, being a giants tortoise with kids on his back and the god told him that the god will let him go the other side of the ashore if old man promise to do good for others. The duo met him, and they made a song. They played with this old man’s installments that he made. Here is the image of this old man from the duo’s webpage. (This page did not show in Mozilla, so use explore.)

http://www.stillonthehill.com/pictures/edstilley/intro.html

I came down after the show and chat with the duo a little bit. They projected their warmness. I told them some unknown reason, my 2/3 musician friends are blue grass, neo-county people. They mention their friends’ name who sounded like have music joint in Dumbo.

While I was hearing audiences’ laughter, I was thinking that “wow, this is like my personal prairie home companion show.”

I am enjoying my stay.


Here is the image of #2, a study piece for my #3.

Mixed media on paper

I enjoy the silence surrounds me in town.


No comments:

Post a Comment