Sunday, November 1, 2009

New York Mills: Day 5

My New York Mills, MN, Studio

Free style haike of the day: Found cat hairs on my gears, I miss my kitty

I was actually very nervous about coming to this residency because I would be alone here. I have done solo residency before and I did not enjoy so much. At my last solo residency, I did not get to know people there until last 3 days of my stay. I was at off season in the summer vacationing village. 2/3 of businesses were not even operating. It was so cold. No one was on a street. Only person who talked to me was a village drunk guy who hanged around near a bridge. (He said, out of blue, he would beat up guys who would mess with me because they don't like my kind.) I was not quite sure what he meant by my kind, but I think he meant by Asian. I was 98% white place. I enjoyed his friendship. Without him I had to talk to frogs. And they would only talk to girl frogs anyway. (It was very cold, but in my 3rd week, they started to come out.) There was no cell phone reception. I had to go walk about 35 minutes on a hiking trail to get reception. I had managed to create many good pieces, however I was not happy, in fact I was rather miserable till the last 3 days that I finally met nice people. I also have to mention that I had a worst burger in my life which was a crime against the cattle that died for me at a restaurant in this village. It is rather difficult to screw up making burgers.

But this time, I am totally cool, cool as a cucumber. And I have to say the main reason I am cool is that I have a lap top with internet connections. Face Book probably only existed in Ivies' Net works when I was in a last solo residency, but now I can see what my friends are up to. I can write blog and tell you my tales. I have good cell receptions. I don't have to go walk for 35 minutes or standing in a rain in a particular spot on middle of the road which I have done in a different residency.
I am still connected.

Point two is that I had met people already. I was invited to join the card game called 31 at the municipal run bar and liquor shop. The young waitress did not know what I was asking first, but she managed to find Guinness for me. (I was not sure if she did not understand my accent or she was just too young to know all products, but first she said they don't have Guinness.) And a lady in our group bought my drink and she paid $5 with her drink and received changes with paper bills. I was amazed. I had never played this game called 31, so two people in our group helped me up. I was still not sure what I was doing, but I lasted for while. (You have 3 lives to play and person with lowest hands loses one at an each round.) At the end, every one offered me a ride back which first I declined as I just need to walk 3 blocks anyways, but since it was raining, I accepted from the same lady who bought me a drink. I had a bit of trouble opening the door since it was the second time I unlocked the door. She waited for me to make sure that I entered a house before she drove away. I appreciated that I was taking care of.

Let's get back to the mine subject that I was talking about; reasons I am fine with the situation.

I also have a great space as well here. (As you can see on the top of this page.) Once I read or heard that Picasso bought a castle, and he just filled up one room to another when he ran out spaces. At this residency, I can just add one table to another if I run out the space. Compare this with my work space in Brooklyn
! You see, why I am so chilled.



No comments:

Post a Comment