Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Securing the Wish Mandala


My Mandala may look like it was made by simply placing found objects, but in actuality, there are several tricks that I used to secure my piece against weather. I am not doing anything to prevent decaying of natural materials, since that is part of my piece: Insects and fungus slowly degrade the materials. However, I make sure that each units stays at same position for a few months.

One of my methods I use is to peg. I sharpened one side of twigs and bigger branches, and use them as pegs.

For instance, to set up the pole, I used these homemade tools and dug a little bit more than 1 foot deep, almost exact same diameter to the pole. Then I pegged around the pole. Each pegs presses each other and secure the pole to the ground.


In circle part, I used the combination of pegging and also tension setting. Each wood is tightly placed to each other. The tension locks all.


I make pieces while thinking about storms and people accidentally bumping it. So, if someone tries to kick my piece to destroy it, (Why would they want to do such a thing by the way. They will have negative Karma.) they'd better have steel toe shoes. They are securely grounded and it is not easy to move.

No comments:

Post a Comment