Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Annmarie Garden Sculpture Park and Arts center residency. Day 1

I arrived at Annmarie in the mid afternoon smoothly, thanks to my friends, Tara and Stephan, who kindly drove me down here. I took a train to Newark and met them up there. The worst part of my trip was from my Slope apartment to #2,3 line subway's Bergen station with a 90 pounds not-so-roll-well suitcase, 40 pounds duffle bag, and a 64 inch tube contains canvas. It normally takes 4 minutes, but took me 17 minutes today. But I knew once I get on the train it would be easy. Once we were in a car, we drove down 95, and took local freeway from Delaware, looking young corn field.  Looking at Maryland map, I am in Southern Maryland where Patuxent River meets Chesapeake Bay. I am here, Annmarie Garden, in association with the Smithsonian Institution, Sculpture Park and Arts Center, to make a public outside art installation. I will also lead a public participation program which will be a part of my installation. I will be making new version of my nature Mandala using found objects from the property, and I will ask visitors to make "wishing flag" to attach to my piece. "Wishing flag" idea is coming from the Tibettan prayer flag which normally has a good fortune prayer printed on.  "Wishing flag" hope to grant wishes of vistors, either their personal fortune or more psychological wish like finding themselves as wind blows. I met a few staff members today, and they pleasantly welcomed me, and we discussed about the project a little. After that, I did a little bit of the location hunt for the project. I noticed there were so many pinecones. I will most certainly use them. My living quarter was descrived as "rustic" on their website and literature, so I was imagining a wood cabin with wood burning stove. But,  I would use "simple" to depict the place. The studio area is quite specious and has many lights. So, I will be making 2-D art at night from the studio. I think my stay here will be cool!!



No comments:

Post a Comment